Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ghiradelli-Level Gluten Free Brownies

After a 6 month hiatus, I'm back! In that time, I discovered something sad... I am probably gluten intolerant. I say probably because it's hard to really know whether a person is gluten intolerant or not since there are varying degrees of intolerance and it doesn't always show on an allergy test. However, I do know that most of my issues have resolved after reducing my gluten intake, so it's worth pursuing. That said, I still plan on making both glutenous and non-glutenous recipes... mostly because I love food too much not to, but also because I'm not technically allergic... right?


This brownie recipe is unique because it's a gluten free recipe, but it's actually WAY better than any gluten brownie recipe I've tried. Maybe I just haven't tried the right recipes, but achieving perfect homemade brownies has always been tricky for me. I also have a very high standard for brownies, namely Ghiradelli's Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix. Judge me for loving boxed brownie mix if you will, but I will not change my mind. I love Ghiradelli brownies and I stand by this recipe. The only problem is that most people don't have GF flour in their pantry, so I'll have to experiment to see if they can be made just as well with wheat flour.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup dutch-process cocoa or baking cocoa
3 large eggs
3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
* I used Bob's Red Mill GF flour, but the recipe calls for King Arthur GF flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips and/or 1 cup chopped nuts - optional
* I didn't add these because I didn't have any on hand

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease an 8" square pan
  2. Place the sugar, butter, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl or saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring until the butter melts and the mixture lightens in color
    * This step helps melt the sugar, which will give the brownies a shiny crust
  3. If you've heated the sugar and butter in a saucepan, transfer the mixture to a bowl
  4. In the bowl containing the sugar-butter mixture, blend in the vanilla and cocoa until incorporated
  5. Add the eggs and mix until shiny
  6. Blend in the GF flour and the baking powder
  7. If adding chocolate chips and/or nuts, stir into batter
  8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading to the edges
  9. Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is set
    * I baked mine for 30 minutes, but I prefer my brownies gooey-solid
  10. Remove pan from the oven and place on a wire rack for about 15 minutes before cutting
  11. Enjoy!
This may have been my breakfast this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment