Sunday, September 16, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Protein "Cookie Dough"

Adapted from Chockohlawtay


I made this recipe for the first time last night, and I'm not 100% certain that I adjusted it to its full potential. I might have to re-post it after I try making it again with a few minor adjustments, but... it was still pretty darn tasty (and healthy), so it's worth making in the mean time.

This recipe is great because its texture/taste is similar to cookie dough, but it has no eggs, very little sugar, and lots of FIBER and PROTEIN. The original recipe was for sugar cookie dough, but I added cinnamon, whole oats, and raisins to make it an oatmeal raisin cookie dough. I think these additions may have dried my "dough" out a little (hence why I think it'll need a few tweaks) but it was still tasty!

The original recipe calls for things like stevia extract and granulated erythritol, but because I wasn't even sure what erythritol was, I just used sugar. Next time I will probably increase the sugar a little bit or maybe try brown sugar to give it a little more depth of flavor.**  But if your diet restricts sugar, check out the original recipe!

** I tried this recipe again using 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar and it made a huge difference. The "dough" was a lot less dry and a lot tastier.


Ingredients

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats - blended into fine flour
1/3 to 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
3 tbs. flour
1 tbs. cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar -- I think I would try 1/3 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar next time
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
Dash of salt
As many raisins as you like! I probably added about 1/2 cup
15 oz. can chickpeas (drained and rinsed really well)
1/3 cup milk (any kind)
1/4 cup almond butter -- I didn't have this and it was fine, but I would recommend adding it if you do
Hefty drizzle of honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. butter extract

Mix the oat-flour, oats, flour, cinnamon, sugar, protein powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside. In a food processor, puree the chickpeas, milk, honey, almond butter (if you have it), and the two extracts until very smooth and combined. Try to eliminate as many chickpea lumps as possible. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir together. Fold in the raisins.  This "cookie dough" can be eaten right away or stored in the fridge for as long as you can avoid eating it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment